Monday, October 25, 2010

On Writing

Stephen King's On Writing is a book that I wish I had read years ago.  After taking a few writing courses in college and wading through some awful textbooks on the subject of writing, I'd have to say that King's book is a good one.  King tells you the facts and isn't hiding behind a wall of pretension.

Also, the man is just plain funny, which makes the book a highly entertaining read.  For just one example of his humor, check out page 186, in which King lists a few of his favorite "profane aphorisms of great color and vitality."

Overall, it doesn't matter if you come to the book wanting to learn how to finally get yourself to crank out that novel that's been rattling around inside your brain for ten years or just want to enjoy a fun read about a storyteller talking about story.  On Writing is a book that has something to offer to anyone.

7 comments:

  1. Great post Chris, I completely agree! I too, also wish I read this book earlier! I loved how he incorporated humor in his writing, I felt as if he he right their talking to me! I did truly learn from this book and he accomplished teaching the reader something without being boring, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, too. There is so much useful information in such a short read. I'm not the biggest fan of reading in general, but it gave me a better perception on how it affects your writing. King's sense of humor was also my favorite attribute to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought I was a decent writer who knew how to write well, but after reading King I can see there is plenty of room for improvement. I think I have work to do with adverbs and writing more concisely. It was a refreshing book to read without feeling overwhelmed by complicated rules. Stephen King made me laugh and want to write and read more. Also, I love his excerpt from 1408 which is one of my favorite horror films.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I am the same way when it comes to writing it has always been a challange for me to write. King uses humor and tough love to get through his writing techniques and his book helps other writer's feel at easeon their style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely love King's "profane aphorisms of great color and vitality." They remind me a lot of George Carlin, where words are just words and it's up to the user to give them their meaning. King talks a lot about the use and meaning of words and how to portray certain messages to the reader - great job highlighting such an important part of this context!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that King's humor is an integral part of the book's overall success. King takes the dull subject of grammar and uses his humor to make the subject both interesting and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also wish i read this book sooner. I learned a lot of rules i had never heard of!

    ReplyDelete